Wage & Hour
Kakalec Law represents workers who have not been paid the wages the law requires. We bring claims based on unpaid minimum and overtime wages, misclassification of employees as “independent contractors,” and other types of wage theft. We help workers recover the wages and damages owed to them for their work.
Discrimination & Harassment
We represent employees who experience discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and other protected categories, and we also represent people who are sexually harassed at work.
We consult on employment agreements at the beginning of employment, and severance agreements at the end. We negotiate with employers and advise employees on issues such as non-disclosure agreements, non-compete clauses, severance payments, and releases.
Appellate, Amicus, & Advocacy
We represent workers and organizations in appellate litigation, writing appellate and amicus briefs that illuminate the real-world stakes of high-impact legal issues, and advise advocacy/policy campaigns.
- Law360: Cost-Splitting Arbitration Clauses Threaten Workers’ RightsOur Hugh Baran writes in Law360 about how provisions that require employees to bear half the costs of arbitration effectively block employees from pursuing their claims in arbitration at all. The original story is available here and the text is below. — Expert Analysis – Rebuttal Cost-Splitting Arbitration Clauses Threaten Workers’ Rights By Hugh Baran · Listen to…
- New York Nursing Home Nurse Files Lawsuit to Stop Predatory Arbitration Seeking Tens of Thousands of Dollars Because He Left His JobFor Immediate Release Date: September 16, 2022 Contact: David Seligman (email@example.com) & Hugh Baran (firstname.lastname@example.org) New York Nursing Home Nurse Files Lawsuit to Stop Predatory Arbitration Seeking Tens of Thousands of Dollars Because He Left His Job Brooklyn, NY — Today, Benzor Shem Vidal, a New York nurse who immigrated from the Philippines, filed a…
- Our Hugh Baran writes in Slate about the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Viking River Cruises, Inc. v. Morianahttps://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/viking-river-cruises-supreme-court-arbitration-wage-theft.html
- Welcome Anthony, Nathan, and Nirali!We are pleased to welcome Nirali Vyas, Nathan Ford, and Anthony Damelio to Kakalec Law for the summer. Nathan Ford is a rising 3L from the University of Iowa College of Law. After graduating with a degree in Applied Linguistics from Grinnell College in 2017, Nathan spent three years as a paralegal in Denver, Colorado…
- Veterinary Information Network News: Veterinary pathologist sues Zoetis for pay discriminationVIN News reports on our client Dr. Yvonne Schulman’s Equal Pay lawsuit against international animal health company Zoetis: “Dr. Yvonne Schulman of New Hampshire, an anatomic pathologist, alleges that she was paid about $105,000 less than one male colleague and $70,000 less than a second male colleague, both of whom had far fewer years of experience…
We’re here to help
This website is designed for general use only and does not create an attorney-client relationship between Kakalec Law PLLC and any reader. Nothing on this site is meant as, or should be taken, as legal advice. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.