Wage & Hour
Kakalec Law represents workers who have not been paid the wages the law requires. We bring claims based on unpaid minimum and overtime wages, misclassification of employees as “independent contractors,” and other types of wage theft. We help workers recover the wages and damages owed to them for their work.
Discrimination & Harassment
We represent employees who experience discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and other protected categories, and we also represent people who are sexually harassed at work.
We consult on employment agreements at the beginning of employment, and severance agreements at the end. We negotiate with employers and advise employees on issues such as non-disclosure agreements, non-compete clauses, severance payments, and releases.
Our firm is dedicated to representing clients with all types of disabilities who seek to fight discrimination and break down barriers–whether physical or practical–in all areas of life: work, transportation, housing, public accommodations, education, health care, government programs, institutions.
- Welcome Hugh BaranWe very pleased to announce that Hugh Baran (https://kakaleclaw.com/hugh-baran/) has joined the Kakalec Law team today as an attorney. Hugh was most recently a Skadden fellow at the National Employment Law Project, where his work particularly focused on combating forced arbitration. Before joining NELP, Hugh clerked for U.S. District Judge Victor A. Bolden in the…
- Join Karen Yau of Kakalec Law to learn about workplace rightsOn Tuesday, July 6th, Karen Kithan Yau gave a presentation via Zoom to community members organized by CCBA, a community organization that works with the Chinese-American community, on Workplace Rights. The workshop was interpreted into Mandarin Chinese. The 15 participants soaked up information about minimum wage, overtime, and other aspects of wage and hour law,…
- CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED ON BEHALF OF TRAFFICKED WORKERSCLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED ON BEHALF OF WORKERS TRAFFICKED BY MAJOR NEW JERSEY TEMPLE Workers Faced Forced Labor and Massive Wage Theft TRENTON, NJ – Today, workers’ rights attorneys filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of Indian workers who were trafficked and faced rampant wage theft and shocking abuses by Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar…
- Karen Kithan Yau Receives Pro Bono AwardCongratulations to Karen Kithan Yau, Of Counsel to the firm, on her award for outstanding pro bono service from the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA). The award is well-deserved recognition for her tireless work, including setting up a clinic that helps thousands of people who would otherwise have no access to a lawyer. “I believe that the…
- Maia Goodell Named Super LawyerWe are pleased to announce that Maia Goodell, Of Counsel to the firm, was selected for Super Lawyers—New York Metro 2020. Maia began practicing civil rights and employment law in 2006 and has been selected by Super Lawyers every year since 2011 that she was in private practice.
We’re here to help
This website is designed for general use only and does not create an attorney-client relationship between Kakalec Law PLLC and any reader. Nothing on this site is meant as, or should be taken, as legal advice. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.