Wage & Hour
Kakalec Law represents workers who have not been paid the wages the law requires. We bring claims based on unpaid minimum and overtime wages, misclassification of employees as “independent contractors,” and other types of wage theft. We help workers recover the wages and damages owed to them for their work.
Discrimination & Harassment
We represent employees who experience discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and other protected categories, and we also represent people who are sexually harassed at work.
We consult on employment agreements at the beginning of employment, and severance agreements at the end. We negotiate with employers and advise employees on issues such as non-disclosure agreements, non-compete clauses, severance payments, and releases.
Disability Rights & Justice
Led by Maia Goodell, our disability rights and justice practice specializes in helping people with all types of disabilities address individual and systemic discrimination, negotiate accommodations and achieve equity in employment, housing, higher education, transportation and public accommodations.
- Our Hugh Baran writes in Slate about the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Viking River Cruises, Inc. v. Morianahttps://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/06/viking-river-cruises-supreme-court-arbitration-wage-theft.html
- Welcome Anthony, Nathan, and Nirali!We are pleased to welcome Nirali Vyas, Nathan Ford, and Anthony Damelio to Kakalec Law for the summer. Nathan Ford is a rising 3L from the University of Iowa College of Law. After graduating with a degree in Applied Linguistics from Grinnell College in 2017, Nathan spent three years as a paralegal in Denver, Colorado…
- Veterinary Information Network News: Veterinary pathologist sues Zoetis for pay discriminationVIN News reports on our client Dr. Yvonne Schulman’s Equal Pay lawsuit against international animal health company Zoetis: “Dr. Yvonne Schulman of New Hampshire, an anatomic pathologist, alleges that she was paid about $105,000 less than one male colleague and $70,000 less than a second male colleague, both of whom had far fewer years of experience…
- Kakalec Law Files Discrimination Complaint Alleging Persistent Sexual Harassment by McDonald’s Franchise ManagerNEW YORK, NY – Today, Daymari Negron Rosado, represented by Kakalec Law PLLC, sued MicDavis LLC and Giovanni Pillco in Manhattan federal district court, alleging she was subjected to constant sexual harassment during her time working at a McDonald’s restaurant in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Ms. Negron, who was a crew member at the…
- Law360: The High Stakes of Arbitration And Interstate CommerceDaniela Porat at Law360 interviews Kakalec Law attorney Hugh Baran in reporting on the debate over who counts as a transportation worker “engaged in” interstate commerce and thus exempt from the Federal Arbitration Act. The full story is available here (https://www.law360.com/employment-authority/wage-hour/articles/1474020) and excerpted below: Law360 (March 16, 2022, 7:17 PM EDT) — Whether certain workers…
We’re here to help
This website is designed for general use only and does not create an attorney-client relationship between Kakalec Law PLLC and any reader. Nothing on this site is meant as, or should be taken, as legal advice. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.